Posted by: Dr. Justin D'Arienzo, Psy.D., ABPP
Online Dating Advice from Top Florida Psychologist and Women’s Divorce Attorney
Get Online Dating Advice with Relationship Expert and Psychologist, Dr. Justin D’Arienzo, and Family Law Attorney, Ms. Heather Quick of Quick Law Firm. These two experts were interviewed by Kevin Jeddings of WSOS in St. Augustine Florida. The show was aired on April 25, 2016.
We have provided a summary of the most popular online dating sites to include the cost of each site as well as how they each work.
Online Dating Websites/Apps
- Excerpt from Askmen.com: Match.com is certainly not geared towards hookups or casual dating. Members include people who are looking for a serious relationship or marriage. The questions allow you to narrow down your dating pool based on criteria such as ethnicity, income, and educational background. You have the option to message and also call other members from an untraceable number. Match.com also has an app available for paid subscribers.
- Price: The free version of the site allows you to browse and “wink” at other members, but you have to pay to start messaging or calling. One month costs $41.99, for 3 months it’s $26.99 per month, for 6 months it is $23.99 per month, and for 12 months it is $20.99 per month.
- Tinder app (gotinder.com)
- On Tinder you only get messages from the people you’re interested in. Chats only get unlocked when both people swipe right on each other. That way you know the feeling is mutual. The first thing you see on Tinder are pictures. Then, with a tap into someone’s profile you can learn much more, including who your common friends are, what interests you both share, their job and education background, and other fun stuff the user chooses to share. This gives you context before deciding whether to swipe right. All swipes on Tinder are anonymous. That means that no one will ever know whether you swiped left or right on their profile. The only exception is when you and another user both swipe right on each other, at which point Tinder notifies you both that “it’s a match!”
- Price: Free – $19.99 for Tinder Plus
- Tinder Plus: Upgraded membership that is available. Cost is $9.99/month for members under the age of 30 and $19.99/month for members 30 years or older. Includes: Rewind – Allows you to return to the last person you left swiped. Passport – Lets you change your Tinder location to match with people in a destination of your choice.
- A dating site that deeply matches singles based on compatibility. The relationship experts at eHarmony’s headquarters in Los Angeles studied thousands of couples, working to understand what creates a happy, long-lasting relationship. As a result, it became clear that certain key characteristics can predict compatibility and lead to more satisfying relationships. Unlike other dating sites, eHarmony requires its members to complete an in-depth questionnaire whose results are used to determine singles’ personality at the core to deeply match based on key areas of compatibility.
- Price: $39.95 per month for 3 months; $29.95 per month for 6 months; $19.65 per month for 12 months.
- eHarmony Plus (eH+)
- eH+ is eHarmony’s new premium service. It’s the eHarmony you know but with the added benefit of personal interactions with your eH+ Matchmaker. Your personal eH+ Matchmaker will be with you every step of the way, learning about what you want and need in a relationship, using this information to find your most compatible matches, incorporating your feedback, and helping you evaluate your connection with your matches. In addition, your eH+ Matchmaker will work with you to discover the best ways to present yourself and achieve your relationship goals. eH+ works primarily offline, so you can be free from your computer and the work of managing an online dating account.
- Price: $5,000 per year.
- Zoosk app (zoosk.com)
- Zoosk is a leading online dating company that personalizes the dating experience to help singles find the person and relationship that’s just right for them. Zoosk’s Behavioral Matchmaking technology is constantly learning from the actions of over 35 million members in order to deliver better matches in real time. With the #1 grossing online dating app in the Apple App Store, Zoosk is a market leader in mobile dating. Available in over 80 countries and translated into 25 languages, Zoosk is a truly global online dating platform.
- Price: $29.95/month for 1 Month; $19.98/month for 3 Months; and $12.49/month for 6 Months.
cole asset management
- At OurTime.com, we honor the freedom, wisdom and appreciation for life that only comes with time. We also recognize that what people want in their 50s, 60s and beyond is often very different from what they wanted in their 30s and 40s, let alone their 20s. This online dating community focuses on the specific interests and desires of people like you.
- Price: $23.99/month for 1 Month; $17.99/month for 3 Months; and $11.99/month for 6 Months.
- Excerpt from askmen.com: OkCupid seems to resonate with a younger crowd, especially with its newly implemented app. That said, it’s probably best for younger singles who are open to the unconventional. The site is well-known for its extensive and often eclectic matchmaking questionnaire, which is constantly evolving, as questions are submitted by users, reviewed and voted on by a select group of members, and then sent to the OKC staff, who choose the best ones. The site takes your answers and shows you what percentage of friend, enemy or match you are with other users.
- Free with the option to pay additional fees to be an A-list member. A-list perks include no ads, advanced searches such as filtering by body type, preferential placement in search results, and the ability to browse invisibly. 1 month packages start at $9.99, 3 month packages start at $23.99, 6 month packages start at $29.99, and 12 month packages start at $39.99.
- A sister site of Match.com, members are matched up with other members based on their profiles. Learn about yourself with the only site that uses the world-famous personality test developed by Dr. Helen Fisher (Anthropologist). Your matches are carefully selected to have the potential to ignite some real chemistry in your life. Our advanced matching system is based on your preferences — and on thousands of successful relationships on chemistry.com. Personalized coaching from our patented feedback system helps dramatically increase your success. You stay on track because we evaluate your activity and generate personalized suggestions to help you communicate with your matches and drive progress.
- Free to create a profile, but payment is required to start messaging. One month costs $49.95; signing up for three months reduces the per-month cost to $33.32 a month; for six months, it’s $26.65 per month.
- One of the oldest matchmaking sites on the web, JDate is the largest dating site for Jewish singles in the world.
- $119.94 for six months
- Long-lasting relationships are built on compatible values and beliefs. Your ChristianMingle profile helps other single Christians understand what’s important to you, including your approach to your faith. Then, when you search, you’ll be able to find someone who shares your place on what we call “the faith spectrum.”
- Price: $29.99 for 1 month; $59.97 for three months; $83.94 for 6 months.
- Plenty Of Fish (POF.com)
- Plenty Of Fish is a free dating website offering premium services such as seeing when a user profile was viewed, and allowing users to see whether a message has been read or deleted.
- Price: A standard account is free and they offer a premium membership starting at $18.59 per month. Subscription Prices: 3 month subscription is $38.99, 6 month subscription is $59.99, and a 12 month subscription is $89.99.
- Hinge app (hinge.co)
- Hinge is a social discovery network helping users meet new people through friends. At first glance, it looks very much like Tinder. But instead of random strangers, Hinge matches only users who share Facebook friends. Currently available in the following US cities: NYC, SF, L.A., DC, Seattle, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Denver, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Omaha, Phoenix, San Diego, Detroit, Portland, Charlotte, Raleigh, Pittsburgh, Columbus, New Orleans, Cleveland, Nashville, Albany, Cincinnati, and Kansas City.
- Price: Free
- Grindr app (grindr.com)
- If you’re after an immediate hook-up, or just want to make friends, Grindr is a great go-to app for gay, bisexual and curious men looking to interact with other guys in their area.
- Price: Free
Dr. D’Arienzo has also posted an Online Dating Guide. It is a power point presentation in pdf form. After listening to the radio recording, the presentation will make more sense. We hope that you enjoy the information and it assists you in your pursuit to find someone online. Stay tuned for an actual recorded audio presentation of the information.
Download (PDF, 308KB)
If you would like assistance with dating coaching whether you are new to the dating scene or returning to it following a divorce, we are hear to help you in choosing pictures, writing profiles, and or navigating the system. .