In addition to providing his expertise to local news outlets on multiple occasions during September and October 2016, Dr. D’Arienzo was also featured on the T.D. Jakes Show on the Oprah Winfrey Network. He spoke about Digital Kidnapping and Internet Safety.
Dr. D’Arienzo’s Seven General Internet Safety Rules to Remember:
1. Parents must model appropriate Internet behavior for their children. What you post is your resume to the world. Teach your children this through your own behavior.
2. Talk with your kids. Teach them to build a positive reputation. I suggest doing this as part of your evening ritual when tucking them into bed or on the drive to school.
3. Educate yourself about parental and privacy controls.
4. Establish Internet rules and a contract if necessary. Don’t forget to enforce the rules.
5. Set a reasonable threshold of what to post.
6. Friend and follow your children, but do not stalk them.
7. Discover new apps and new technologies with your kids. Have fun!
Four Additional Rules to Prevent Digital Kidnapping:
8. Keep devices concealed in certain situations.
9. Get apps that watermark and erase metadata or that remove geo-post data from pictures.
10. Don’t include identifying information in pictures. This includes local landmarks like schools or street signs.
11. Contact the person posting your pictures and then the social media site and the police and even the FBI if the problems persist.
Dr. D’Arienzo spoke about his practice, D’Arienzo Psychological Group, its providers, and how to seek help for psychological and relationship problems.